There are several options for this Pre-Assembled version of the MELIUS board. Please keep in mind that these are all built to order meaning that we don’t build them until the order is in. It takes quite a bit of time to put together so allow some extra time for shipping / handling.
Included in the base price are all the components that can be soldered and we solder them for you. You only need to choose a few options below to complete the build.
Here’s your chance to own a brand new Commodore 64 – MELIUS Rev 1.2 main board. The revision is 250407, Artwork 251137.
Project MELIUS is dedicated to improving the original Commodore 64 while staying as true to the original as possible.
The first iteration of project MELIUS boards featured the following improvements:
- RF Modulator Bypass Circuitry – This modification allows you to be free from the RF modulator component by soldering a handful of components to the board which will bring you an improved quality video signal. You can also choose to use the original RF modulator instead. Your choice.
- EEPROM upgrades – The Basic, Kernal and Character ROM’s have been replaced with 27C512 EEPROM’s. This means that you can burn a ROM and directly plug it into your C64’s mainboard. What’s even better is that because the 27C512 have 64K of space, you can store up to 8 ROM images for both Basic and Kernal ROM’s and up to 16 variations of the character ROM and then quickly select between them by moving around some jumpers.
- Connector Footprint Updates – This will help with hunting down various connectors for the IEC, A/V and power ports. Especially the power port connectors. Finding these with the 5mm pin spacing for the ground shield is very difficult. This allows you to easily pop in modern replacements.
Revision 1.1 builds upon these modifications with the following:
- RF Modulator Bypass Circuitry – The first revision had a footprint issue for the 2 transistors used in the circuit. This revision corrects that error.
- Memory – The existing layout of the 8 4164 DRAM chips has been modified to the following:
- 2 41464 DRAM chips to provide legacy support and maintain a small footprint.
- A modern SRAM replacement circuit has been added that can be used instead of the 2 41464 DRAM memory chips.
NEW IN THIS REVISION!!!
Revision 1.2 builds upon these modifications with the following:
- Modified footprints for the Axial Electrolytic capacitors to support radial capacitors.
- Modified Clock Oscillation circuit to minimize the amount of components in that space which resulted in 2 additional modifications:
- Support was added for a 2nd VIC chip as well as a second crystal which makes it possible to have both a 6567 and 6569 VIC chip installed and then use jumpers to easily switch between NTSC and PAL
- Since the 8701 clock oscillator is no longer manufactured a supporting circuit was added that requires surface mount components to support the 525 user configurable clock circuit instead. So you’ll have a choice of using those components or simply using an 8701 or 8701 replacement.
- Created a place for the capacitor that needed to be put in place with R38, this is just above R38 and is labeled C43.
- Tented VIAS
I am planning on continuously improving this board.
The production boards will use a finish known as ENIG which offers a flat surface, longer shelf life and is also lead free and RoHS compliant.
Don’t miss your opportunity to own an official DIY Chris C64 250407 MELIUS Rev 1.2